CURRENT ADOPTION FEE $85 per pet, plus microchip registration
Each potential adopter will be interviewed to ensure that your chosen pet is correct for your situation. You will be asked to read and agree, by initializing and signing, the “Adoption Policy” (see below). You then will be asked to fill out the “adoption form” (see sample below) and pay the adoption fee. We accept cash or check. After the adoption has been approved, the TSAS Volunteer will go over and explain all the medical forms for the pet. You will be given a copy of the Adoption Policy and all medical information. If applicable, you will be asked to take the pet to the appropriate veterinarian for a booster shot to complete the current series. The shelter will be responsible for payment unless you are out of the area. Then all boosters will be your responsibility. It will be explained to you that there will be a follow-up call in seven to ten days to see how the pet is settling into its new home, give suggestions if needed, and answer any questions or concerns. The adoption packet contains other information for transitioning your new pet into your home. You will also be asked to call TSAS for permission to return the animal if, for any reason, you cannot keep the pet. There is no time requirement. The pet is then ready to go to its new forever home.
***************** Adoption Policy ****************
Once the pre-adoption or adoption is completed, there is no monetary refund.
Please understand that this is an adoption, not a “sale,” and your agreement with your new pet is to provide a permanent and loving home.
All animals adopted from the Tombstone Small Animal Shelter have been spayed/neutered and received age-appropriate vaccinations and any other medical or dental recommended by a veterinarian. You will receive all this information in the adoption packet and need to keep it in a safe location.
In some cases, you may be required to take the pet to the recommended veterinarian for booster shots that the TSAS will pay for.
There are no refunds or exchanges due to health issues unless determined and documented to be life-threatening by your veterinarian within 14 days of adoption.
**TSAS will not be responsible for other medical issues that should arise. _____ intl
Adopters must understand that it can take a minimum of 30 days for the animal to adjust to the new environment. This is crucial for the animal to adapt to its new environment and family. Since most of our animals have minimal behavioral training, we expect the pet’s new family to make sincere efforts to train their new pet. A list of local trainers is provided in the adoption packet.
Returning an animal:
Tombstone Small Animal Shelter requires that if you have to give up a pet, you adopted from our shelter, you call and ask to return it to our shelter. We are a no-kill shelter and ask that we be informed if the animal needs to be returned. There is no time limit on returning an animal adopted from TSAS.
When returning the animal, you will be asked to bring all up-to-date medical records. Donations fund TSAS, and returning animals that have not been kept up to date on their vaccinations can be costly.
WE DO NOT WANT OUR PETS TO BECOME REVOLVING DOOR PETS AS THIS CREATES STRESS ON THE ANIMAL AND DEFEATS OUR PURPOSE TO PROVIDE STABILITY IN THE LIVES OF THESE DESERVING CREATURES.
Animal Name: ____________________________________ Dog __ Cat ___
Name ______________________________________________Co-Adopter’s Name__________________________
Street Address: ______________________________City________________________ St_________ ZIP _________
Mailing Address If different: _________________________________________________________________Home phone _____________Cell ___________________Work ______________ Best time to call :______________
E-Mail Address ___________________________________
Veterinarian’s Name ______________________________ Phone__________________________________
Do you own your home ________ Rent _______, Does your landlord allow pets and dogs of all breeds _________
Do you have small children under age 6 yrs ________ Other pets in the home ______ Dogs ______ Cats _____
- Tombstone Small Animal Shelter, Inc. (TSAS) Adoption Contract language applies to all animals adopted from TSAS regardless of the residential location of potential adopters. This language is drafted with the intent by TSAS to adopt its animals only to safe, fit homes and comply with TSAS adoption standards and policies.
- I agree that, by adopting this animal, this animal will reside with me in my place of residence. All cats I adopt from TSAS will be indoor-only cats and will not be de-clawed. All dogs I adopt from TSAS will not be left outside 24 hours a day. If I choose to keep the animal no longer or can no longer provide care for the animal, I agree to contact Tombstone Small Animal Shelter, Inc. to discuss surrendering the animal back to TSAS. I agree to not re-home, sell, trade, or dispose of the animal in any way myself without the consent of TSAS.
- TSAS reserves the unlimited right to inquire from the adopters about the animal at any time after adoption. TSAS reserves the right to reclaim any animal at any time for any reason(s) deemed appropriate by the TSAS Board of Directors, including but not limited to breach of contract, mistreatment of the animal, or fraudulent misrepresentation by the adopters.
- I understand that an adjustment period may be needed for the animal to become comfortable in my home and with my family and other pets. I will consider further training for my pet to help with this process and will give the animal time to adjust.
- I hereby fully and completely release TSAS and their officers, and volunteers from any claim, cause of action, or liability for any injury or damage that the animal may cause and for any illness my other animals may develop, even if those illnesses are procured from the animal adopted from TSAS. Furthermore, I agree to fully and completely indemnify, defend and hold harmless TSAS, their officers, and volunteers from and against all claims, causes of action, and liabilities, including but not limited to those asserted by third parties for any injury or damage caused by the animal.
- TSAS believes the animal you adopt is in good health ( unless noted ). The animal is spayed/neutered and has all age-appropriate vaccinations. In addition, cats are tested for feline leukemia/aids and vaccinated. Should any medical problem arise within 48 hours, contact TSAS at 520-457-2545. Any medical issues not previously noted by TSAS at the time of adoption are the adopter’s responsibility.
- If the pet I adopt requires additional boosters, I agree to keep the appointment made for me or will notify TSAS as soon as possible before the appointment if rescheduling is required, and Tombstone Small Animal Shelter will pay for the shots required. I will be responsible for all payments if I do not keep the appointment or reschedule promptly.
- To the best of my knowledge, all the information I have provided on this application is true and complete.
- I understand there is no refund of the adoption fee if I cancel the pre-adoption or return an adopted animal.
- I, the adopter, have read all of the conditions outlined in this adoption contract and agree to abide by them. __________________________________________ Adopter’s Signature _____________________________Date $__________ cash __ ck __ _____________________________________________TSAS Volunteer ____________________ Amount Paid (revised 2018)
FeLV Test/ FEVL Vaccination
and any other medical needs that should arise while at the shelter.